The purpose of our blog is to discuss topical issues, stories, and situations, as well as to share what we are up to and new ways for you to get involved. We are always searching for possible answers to the question: Why is a girl's worth culturally and historically relative?

Friday, March 26, 2010

31 Heroines of March 2010: Alice


As a child, my heroine was always Alice from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.  Back then, I looked up to Alice because she was an intrepid adventurer - only seven years old yet intelligent, daring, and self-assured.  Reading about Alice helped me escape from my own difficult childhood and enter one in which a young woman could do anything she wanted with a little imagination. 

Now, at 30, I realize I also was drawn to Alice because she was one of the few strong female characters written for girls.  Alice was not a delicate princess whose mission in life was to meet a prince, be saved by said prince, and live happily ever after.  Instead, Alice was a regular little girl who wasn't afraid to be herself and who figured out on her own how to solve her problems. I know now that this kind of female character was an anomaly when Alice in Wonderland was written in the 1860s. This is why I still re-read the book as an adult, and why tales about Alice have endured for more than a century.
Jacquelyn Lewis

For more information, visit the Alice in Wonderland website, or you can read the book online.

Visit us tomorrow to learn about a heroine who ruled a nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment