The purpose of our blog is to discuss topical issues, stories, and situations, as well as to share what we are up to and new ways for you to get involved. We are always searching for possible answers to the question: Why is a girl's worth culturally and historically relative?

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

31 Heroines of March 2010: Judy Blume


Judy Blume!   Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret, Deenie, and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing were my friends and constant companions, along with all of Judy Blume’s books, when I was a girl.  I would walk around the house with a book in front of my face, doing chores with one hand so I could keep reading.  I looked forward to the visits by the bookmobile in my neighborhood so I could get a new stack.  Finding a Judy Blume title that I had not yet devoured was cause for an exclamation of joy, but old friends were welcomed just the same.  

Judy Blume was my heroine because she expressed so well what I and my fellow classmates were going through. The characters in her books kept me company and soothed many a hurt feeling - they were my friends. I still look back with a smile when I think of all the hours Judy and her creations spent with me and I continue my love of reading to this day.
Teri Yoo


For more information, check out Judy Blume on the Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment