The purpose of our blog is to discuss topical issues, stories, and situations, as well as to share what we are up to and new ways for you to get involved. We are always searching for possible answers to the question: Why is a girl's worth culturally and historically relative?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

31 Heroines of March 2012: Emily Dickinson


Emily Dickinson Poet, Prolific and Reclusive

My childhood heroine was 19th-century American poet Emily Dickinson. For a school project when I was around 10, I had to dress up as a literary figure (or maybe we just had to dress up as a famous person and I CHOSE a literary figure), and I opted for Dickinson. I can’t remember whether it was my mother or grandmother who first made the suggestion, but my grandmother gave me an old anthology of her collected works. My mother and I researched her famous white dress, which as a child I regarded as iconic of her “spinster” status and loved.

I loved (and still love) that Dickinson was a recluse in her later years (“the woman in white”) and found the details of her domestic existence during that period delightfully creepy. I wore the white dress for school, and my mother put baby powder in my hair to make me look old, and I memorized my favourite Dickinson poem (“Hope is the thing with feathers / That perches in the soul...”) to recite in class. I don’t remember the presentation at all. (The time spent with my mother and grandmother in preparation is much more memorable.) What I do remember is wearing the dressagain, and again, and again.

The first Halloween after the project I think I actually told people I was dressed as Emily Dickinson, but after that, on at least one or two subsequent Halloweens, I was just a happy, poetry-loving ghost in increasingly ill-fitting garb...

Stephanie Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment