The purpose of our blog is to discuss topical issues, stories, and situations, as well as to share what we are up to and new ways for you to get involved. We are always searching for possible answers to the question: Why is a girl's worth culturally and historically relative?

Thursday, March 29, 2012

31 Heroines of March 2012: Suse Ochs


Suse Ochs - Inspirational Roommate

My college roommate Suse (Susan Leigh Skinner Ochs-Scher) from 20 years ago, I remember used to read bridal magazines and go to Pro-Choice rallies. Suse is my heroine because she has always been able to match wit and lightheartedness with a solid connection to her beliefs.

In 1989, Suse lent me her car to go on job interview. I found a goofy cartoon on the dashboard that said ‘See your future, be your future.’ A year later, I was having a hard time trying to get established in a new city. She sent me funny cartoons about my new life. Her philosophy and support helped me take a lighter look at the tough task I had set for myself - making my way in a world far from anything familiar.

This gift of carrying an ideal with wit, making life more fun, I still try to put into practice today. I make sense of her incongruous pairing of bridal magazines and interest in feminism like this: if you know who you are, and value those roots and your traditions, you keep what is good. To move forward, you must engage your ideology with your wits to be a revolutionary in your own life and engage in your future.

Through trial and error, I eventually got the jobs I wanted. And Suse? She got a graduate degree in feminist literature, married her college sweetheart, and has three thriving children.

See your future, be your future.

Maria Mortati

No comments:

Post a Comment