The purpose of our blog is to discuss topical issues, stories, and situations, as well as to share what we are up to and new ways for you to get involved. We are always searching for possible answers to the question: Why is a girl's worth culturally and historically relative?

Monday, April 9, 2012

The kindness of strangers

Photo of the author taken by Danny Bird.

I am not one for timekeeping. Let me re-phrase that. I am great at deadlines and turning up for work on time (or even early!), but I never seem to get my timings right for a ‘Night on the Tiles.’ What usually happens is that I am practically ready to go out but have to leave before any make-up touches my face. So my solution? Bring it with me! This normally sees me doing my make-up on public transport. I was recently in this predicament when I started to notice other people’s reactions to me and the people were divided. Half looked on in disbelief and disgust at the sheer sight of a girl with a make-up bag on her lap, unashamedly dolling herself up. The other lot were willing me to get half of it down my face. 

Another thing I am not one for is to feel embarrassed for anything I do, as well as not believing in plastering my face with foundation or primer. A bit of blush, eyeliner and mascara is enough for me. Though I do like to experiment with my eye shadow. Which is why I was so shocked at some of these unruly faces staring back at me. I mean, it is not that I’m unaware of how drastically cosmetics can change one's face, but I simply use it to highlight my features and express my personality.

But one thing I did not expect was that once I had finished and was getting off the train, a lovely females said “Well done honey! I would never be able to do my slap on the train – yours looks great!” As I left the train, I blushed. It convinced me that what I did was not unseemly, but that it was a great time to be a woman putting on make-up on public transport!

-Natalie Moyanah
Junior Girl
Girl Museum Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Natalie, I only just realised that the image for this blog is of you! Your eyes look amazing - how on earth have you got leopard spot eyeshadow?! Amazing... As if I wasn't impressed enough that you can apply make up on public transport!

    ReplyDelete